Tuesday, August 16, 2005

People like me who are country-folk-Americana music fans and Cold Warriors will want to read this City Journal piece on Pete Seeger, "America's most successful Communist." Here's Kurt Andersen explaining why profiling not only makes sense but is absolutely necessary via Slate. As a fairly young-looking male with an earring and a beard I get checked on all the time, and I'm glad they do it. I have received some serious going-overs in San Antonio, Kennedy Airport, London, Brussels, the Franco-Spanish border, and innumerable times in Spain. Thank you, security officers. I appreciate people who keep me safe. Here's Niall Ferguson on Iran. I vote we bomb their reactors now, not tomorrow, and definitely before some peacenik gets elected in 2008. And if that makes them mad, tough shit. We've got the men, we've got the planes, we've got the money too. Here's a thoughtful piece by Ramesh Ponnuru in National Review with a somewhat different take on Hiroshima and Nagasaki; I don't agree, but you ought to read it. Finally, James Taranto's dismemberment of radical anti-American Cindy Sheehan, who is receiving amazing amounts of coverage from the usual suspects over here in Pinkoland, is a must-read.

No comments: