Friday, July 04, 2003

I'm listening to KHYI in Dallas through Internet radio--they're playing mostly cheesy American patriotic songs today, since, of course, it is the Fourth of July. They just played "The Fightin' Side of Me" by the Hag and I cranked it up. They also had a big Dixie Chicks celebration in which they played the originals of all the Dixie Chicks cover hits; the Chicks are not on their playlist, and I don't think they were on it too often before Natalie Maines' public insults to President Bush, either.

Texas musicians they play a lot whom I like: the Derailers, Jack Ingram, Ray Wylie Hubbard, Moe Bandy, Joe Ely, Houston Marchman, and Chip Taylor and Carrie Rodriguez. Carrie plays a mean fiddle. They also play BR-549, a band that I support because they started out many years ago in Lawrence, Kansas, as the Homestead Grays. They were good then and they're good now, though I think the only original member is Chuck Mead, the singer.

No comments: