Tuesday, August 05, 2003

Here's the CNN report on the wave of fires in Southern Europe. Fortunately none of them are happening anywhere near here, but Portugal's on fire and Prime Minister Durao Barroso has declared the whole country a disaster area. Fires are also burning out of control in southwestern Spain, in Huelva and Extremadura and Salamanca. People have died, at least 11 in Portugal and at least three in Spain. And the weather is going to be just as hot and dry as it already has been. No changes this week, anyway.

It looks like the bombing of the Marriott Hotel in Jakarta is serious, that the death toll is going to be high. I'll bet ten-to-one it's an Al Qaeda job, showing how their reach has been reduced; they can't attack in Europe or North America, so they strike in places like Indonesia where security is much weaker. I'm advocating more of the same security policies that seem to be working, with one exception: I don't see anything wrong with ethnic profiling. My appearance fits the profile for someone who smokes dope and I often get checked when traveling. Doesn't bother me. I like security on airplanes.

No comments: