Wednesday, June 25, 2003

Here is an excellent comment from NRO's Deroy Murdock pointing out the stupidity of the war on drugs and especially the war on cannabis. One of the reasons I appreciate Spain is its tolerance for cannabis use. I think it might be because all working-class men and most middle-class men over about 30 years old have done military service, and they learned to smoke dope in the Spanish Army. No kidding. There wasn't anything else to do, and Spain controlled northern Morocco (including the Rif, where more dope is grown than anywhere else in the world) until 1956 and the Spanish Sahara, due south of Morocco, until 1975. Spain still controls Ceuta and Melilla, outposts on the coast of the Rif, and the Canary Islands, just a few miles off the Moroccan coast. Andalusia is a short boat ride from the heart of the Rif. All these guys who were in the Army smoked dope, and they learned from personal experience that it's no big deal. Therefore they don't think it's some sort of evil monster.

By the way, I guarantee you Bill Clinton smoked tons of dope way back when. Everyone else who shared his political tendencies did, and Bill is not known for his ability to resist sensual pleasures. I've hated him ever since that "I didn't inhale" crap. He should have said, "Yes, I used to smoke pot. Now I don't. But I'm not ashamed of what I did, and I think marijuana possession and growing your own should be legal, or at the very least decriminalized, because it's pretty harmless, not as unhealthy as tobacco and alcohol. Anyone providing pot to minors should suffer the same penalty as anyone providing alcohol to minors, and those who operate vehicles or machinery are, of course, prohibited from operating under the influence." He should have had that answer all planned out because the question is pretty obvious.

No comments: